Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Very Busy Week and a Few Random Thoughts

I gave my friend George a hard time for being delinquent in his blogging. I mean, who is going to let something like WORK get in the way of letting the entire internet world know what you think. Looking at the gap in the post dates from this blog to my last, it would appear that I have.

In just two short weeks I've gone from being a crusty Lieutenant Colonel line pilot helping out around the office to the Director of Operations to, the deployed commander. I get called in and told this latest little juicy piece of information last week. I was told, "Steve, you're the commander for the remainder of the deployment," but heard instead, "Steve, step up to this firehose and take a biiiiigggg drink after I turn it on full blast and then give you a kick in the junk." Now, our deployment will only last for another couple of weeks, but it's certainly more than I bargained for. You can rest assured that a flurry of prayers have been rising skyward. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..."

Those of you following the kilt and the acorn story: My son had his history fair and did a great job as Sir William Wallace. My wife said he regretted not painting his face blue a la Mel Gibson, but was overall satisfied with the endeavor.

I realize now, despite a noble effort to force myself to be, that I am not a fan of miniseries adapted from western novels. I watched the miniseries "The Streets of Laredo," adapted from the Larry McMurtry novel of the same name. I sat through it but found the characters a bit stereotypical, something that happened again when I tried to watch "Lonesome Dove." The main men characters are the silent, strong type. Their partners are a tad whiny but nonetheless faithful. Indians are a bit quirky. The women characters are either pitiful victims or practicing or recently reformed prostitutes. Not my cup of tea.

6 comments:

Rick said...

I'm with you, Steve - I don't mind work and a schedule, but it's those last-minute "we've had a change of plans and you're on the hotseat" things that get me.

George said...

Glad to see you blogging again. I would have given you a hard time about your delinquency, but I was still too busy. Congrat on your Commandership. So are you like Will Riker (Number One) now, or what?

Rick said...

... or like Will Wheaton? or Will Robinson?

Steve said...

Probably more like one of the "red shirt" crewmen. A brief, fleeting moment in the sun only to be consumed by some horrible space creature at the 20 minute mark of the show.

Rick said...

Oooh. Ouch. Send Uhura instead.

Martha said...

I am tardy too. Congratulations on the assignment!!!