Thursday, September 11, 2008

Camping Weekend

Weather's been very nice here in the Pacific NW. Took the family camping North of Seattle to Deception Pass State Park last weekend. We met up with some Canadian friends of ours that were our neighbors in Germany. It probably took the fact that they were depending on us to go for us to actually make this trip. Camping seems to be one of those things that you really have to make an effort to do. Lots of preparation involved. By the time we got a trailer hitch (our old one had been stolen in the move), picked up the rented pop-up camper, bought food, and packed everything away, I felt like I had prepared for an African safari. The park is absolutely gorgeous, the weather was great, and we all had a wonderful time. I spend most of my time around the campfire cooking...and had a blast. I got to dust off the old dutch oven and iron skillet. I also rediscovered that my wife is a firebug. She can't keep away from the fire. Poking it. Prodding it. Mesmerized by its dancing flames, she's drawn to it like a moth.

I also remarked that if I had been born in the 19th century, I'm convinced that my calling would have been as a chuck wagon cook. I was all over the place cutting, prepping, ladling. Good times.

All in all, we all had a great time. Wife wants to camp more. Kids enjoyed themselves for a weekend without the Playstation. I got to cook up some outdoor food. Good weekend.

No comments: