Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thinking Ahead to Retirement


I attended a going away dinner last night in honor of the vice wing commander here at McChord AFB. This was the end of his third assignment here, and it was obvious that he was going to miss this area. There were the obligatory speeches and the standard going away gifts. The thing that struck me was how heartfelt it all was. I can't help but choke up sometimes when people express such warm affection for others. I guess I'm just a big softy.

I head out one week from today to join my family for a week in San Antonio, Tx. I'm looking forward to having a big ol' steak on the riverwalk washed down with an ice-cold Shiner Bock. I love San Antonio. It's in my top 5 potential retirement locales. Some others in contention:

- Somewhere in the South Carolina low country between Charleston and Savannah
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Ashville, NC
- Nashville, TN
- Flagstaff, AZ

I'm constantly refining this list, adding and taking away places. The Seattle area could be added very soon. Today is an absolutely beautiful day (low 80's and clear, blue sky). It's growing on me fast.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I LOVE San Antonio. When I opened your blog I saw the picture and thought - that looks like San Antonio. Was surprised to see I was right when I read it.

I was there for two weeks in 1996 while working for the bank the first time. That was one of the nicest places I traveled to.

The second week we were there, we got our manager to agree to let us stay on the riverwalk at the Hyatt. We got a good rate since it was the week after Cinco de Mayo. When I came home from Texas, I was in withdrawl for authentic mexican food!